posted Jan 14, 2011, 9:38 AM by Joseph Wheaton
updated Jan 15, 2011, 4:09 PM
Read Chapter 2 (Natural Streams
pp. 21-93) of Dingman (2008). Chapter 2 covers a lot of the nomenclature we refrained from using on our field trip and reviews a lot of empirical geomorphology material. Some of you will find this to be largely a review of material covered in Jack's Fluvial Geomorphology Class and Patrick's Watershed Hydrology Class. As such, I suggest that you:
- Skim/Review section 2.1 (The Watershed & Stream Network)
- Skim/Review section 2.2 (Channel Planform, Major Types)
- Read section 2.3 (Chanel Boundaries) in more detail.
- Make sure you're familiar with the metrics described in pp 51-58 of section 2.4 (The Channel Cross-Section) and skim or skip subsection 2.4.3
- Skim/Review section 2.5 (Streamflow).. but read 2.5.4 (Sources), 2.5.5 (Stream Reponses to Rainfall and Snowmelt Events), and 2.5.6 (Timing) in more detail.
- Read/Review section 2.6 (Variables and their Spatial & Temporal Variability)
PLEASE also fill out the poll on our forum